Monday, December 17, 2007

Week 7: Wikis

16.
The SJCPL wiki is awesome. It really empowers librarians to create their own pages where they may have had more technological hurtles to jump through with old-fashioned web design. I see wikis as a way to take control away from a centralized source and give it to the creators. It seems like with the SJCPL wiki, content is more likely to be current when creators have the ability to update their own subject guides at will.

I've used a wiki personally in two other environments. The first was a staff wiki; this was valuable in that commonly used documents and applications were centralized in one place. The other time I used a wiki was for a library instruction class. The students used pbwiki to create an annotated bibliography for the class. Being able to sign up for RSS notification to see how the wiki was growing was interesting (and overwhelming).

17.
SJ WIKI
I added my blog to the wiki and did a favorite in books and travel spots. The Wiki was very easy to use; I really like PBWiki. I am curious how posting more complicated things like PDF's and other files might go. I've used another application and found that aspect a bit difficult.

No comments: